My tale is not about one QSO but rather an amazing 24 hours of QSOs.  It all
started with the CQ WW CW DX Contest in November, 1979.  I decided to do 15
meter single band entry with my basic 4 element monobander at 70 feet, a Drake
TR-7 and a kw.

The band started off as usual, open to JA, a few SA and Carib stations.  I had
expected 15 to go dark by 01z but to my surprise it was still going.  The log
was slowly filling with JA, SA and Carib but now there started to appear
goodies such as HL9, UA0, VK, ZL and some other Pacific station.  So it sent,
hour by hour with no let up in sight.  By 08z the opening shifted and now there
were eastern EU stations coming through!  Yeah -- wow.  By 09z the opening to
EU closed and I thought I might get a little sleep but first I checked long
path.  I swung the beam to 220 degrees, the band noise came up and my tuning
produced some amazing stuff -- a VK6 (who asked for my zone 3 times -- he
couldn't believe it), 9V1 and a host of goodies from SE Asia and even
stretching into UL7.  Even a EU or two snuck through.  By 10z the path closed
but lo and behold 15 was now waking up as it normally would with Carib stations
and ZS.  Within a short time, it was open to EU and it was off to the races.

I had never experienced anything like this before or since.  Truly an amazing
30 hours because the band didn't actually close until 03z the next night.

As for results, 1173 QSOs, 95 countries and 37 zones.  Number 5 in the world,
top US and a USA record score.

Pete, W1RM
w...@comcast.net