On May 23, 2006, at 4:08 PM, Roland Whitsitt wrote:

A lot of us here will never be able to afford an amp if it's 5k. I hope elecraft remembers that. I bet most of us wouldn't mind less bells and whistles just to get a few hundred watts out there. Maybe a poor-mans amp? to go with my buget tuner. Just another idea.
Roland N5VWN k2#3090

Communications Concepts <http://www.communication-concepts.com> sells pc boards and parts kits for several of the amps in the Motorola Application Notes series. While they certainly don't have the Elecraft bells and whistles, they are tried and proven designs at reasonable cost.

Used tube amps are quite often available at good prices. I picked up a Heathkit SB-200 (600W output) last year for <$300.

73 - Bob, N7XY