With 26 years experience in USAF communications and even more in commercial
broadcasting, I disconnect all wire inputs to my station's components when
the threat of thunderstorms arises.  If planned well, this is easy to
accomplish.  I have made significant money repairing commercial broadcast
transmitters which were installed properly but still suffered damage during
direct hits to their antennas.  That damage was very rare, but still
occurred.

I disconnect my DSL router's wall wart and phone line inputs along with
antenna, rotator control, and other cables that enter through the single
point protected/bonded/grounded panel.  That has worked every time!  If
lightning comes within ten miles, I disconnect.  If away from home, all my
valuable electronics are disconnected.  I do the same for snow storms which
with blowing wind also generate significant static electricity.

Why take the chance?  If I were to run a remote system, like my race car, I
would be ready to walk away from either in spite of taking appropriate
preventive measures and accept the loss.

73, Bill, K8TE

--
Sent from: http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/