So I've been here before.  Had a bad lightning strike and then put a lot of
effort into constructing a proper commercial grounding system around my
vertical.  That part worked very well.  What I never expected is that the
next strike would jump over the vertical, over my drive way and follow the
telephone cable into the house.  Even with lightning arrestors on the phone
lines, it still managed to damage a lot of electronic devices all over the
house (including ham gear) by lifting the ground in many places that had no
connection to the phone lines.  We live and learn.

K9HZ