David's analysis is correct. Go to his last sentence - that is the Noise Blanker (NB) and not Noise Reduction (NR). NB punches a hole in the signal in response to impulse noise. It will cause signal distortion, getting worse with more aggressive settings.

Noise Reduction (NR) depends on correlation techniques. It has to determine what is a signal, and then build a filter around that. Once the filter is built, then the signal audio should be the same as normal, but the noise content will be reduced. Yes, NR will cause distortion of the signal, but the idea is to be able to maintain communications rather than simply to get rid of the noise.

The K3/K3S/KX3/KX2 NR has several settings to allow you to customize the noise reduction to the particular noise you are encountering. There is no "one size fits all" for all noise sources.

I have "repaired" several K2s equipped with the KDSP2 which were sent to me for "distorted audio" and the "cure" was to simply turn off NR in the KDSP2. Yes, you should expect some audio distortion when using NR.

73,
Don W3FPR