I have used an outboard compressor/expander for this (paired with a 7 band
parametric(quasi) equalizer) and besides normalizing audio levels can squash
static crashes and pad certain frequencies above a certain intensity
automatically (similar to de-easing in function).  It was more analog than
digital but worked really well - it was an older Aphex with a noise gate and
outboard eq. Not easy to setup though. Required an audio amplifier or powered
speaker downstream.

Hank
K4HYJ