I’ll give a quick summary of that preso.

The longest section is about noise blankers, not noise reduction. He discusses
three types. First, the traditional blanker that takes the signal to zero
during a detected impulse. Second, an interpolating blanker that replaces the
impulse-affected samples with samples that have a linear slope between the
samples before and after. Finally, a linear predictive coding (LPC) blanker
that uses speech coding, detects large changes in the coefficients, then
removes them. Nice for impulse noise, but it would probably fail very strangely
for voice QRM because it would train on the QRM as well as the signal. He shows
that it is superior to the other blankers for CW QRM. Of course, the other
noise blankers are designed for impulse noise, not CW QRM.

For noise reduction, he gives a quick hand wave description of the Ephraim and
Malah MMSE spectral noise reduction. That makes a short time base FFT, removes
offending frequency sections, then converts it back to the time domain. He
mentions recent work on that by some Germans. I’m guessing they are Gerkmann
and Hendricks.

He mentions, but doesn’t even handwave the LMS adaptive filter approach. I
believe that is the algorithm used by Elecraft. Normally, an adaptive filter is
used to optimize the filtering for a known waveform, picking it out of the
noise. For noise reduction, we do the opposite and train the filter on the
noise, then filter it out.

The impulse noise blankers and the LMS adaptive filter both work better with a
wider receive bandwidth. That gives them more information about the noise and
makes it easier to remove. The LPC blanker and MMSE noise reduction
characterize the signal, so they should work better with a narrower receive
bandwidth.

I might have gotten some of this wrong. I did quick listen to the preso and a
short literature search.

wunder
K6WRU
Walter Underwood