Why would a common mode choke at the antenna feedpoint present more problems
than the common practice of feeding a balanced line through a single-ended
tuner and balun?
I’ve done a lot of experimenting with the latter and have learned that a) the
best configuration is with a 1:1 balun, and b) the balun will become lossy and
heat up if the impedance it sees is highly reactive. The solution to b) is to
cancel the reactance by putting the appropriate opposite reactance in both
sides of the line between the balun and the antenna. Of course this means added
complexity.
I would love to figure out how to make a choke that would work with balanced
line at the antenna feedpoint, on multiple bands without any additional
components.
FWIW I’ve switched to a real balanced tuner (Johnson Matchbox).

Victor 4X6GP