Over a decade ago I did some un scientific experiments to investigate this
subject.  I set up a test transmitter a few hundred feet away from my rotary 40
meter dipole.  I took some field strength measurements with the dipole, then
lengthened one half of the dipole perhaps 6 inches and shortened the other half
by the same amount.  The field strength measurements were the same.  I believe
I also did the same thing again with something like a one foot lengthening and
one foot shortening, and once again no change in the signal strength.  I did
not write down the SWR, but if my memory serves me correctly there was no
significant change in that either.  I did have a good feed line choke which may
have helped prevent adverse effects from this slightly unbalanced dipole.  This
was not a scientific test so errors could have easily been something like a dB
and also this was done in the near field which is not the best way to make
measurements.  So I feel confident that an unbalanced c
 ondition of a few percent will probably not cause any measurable problems.
                Rick  KL7CW

Sent from Mail for Windows 10