The obvious first places to look are the calibrations of each radio.  My K3 (always one, has the TCXO option) stays within a cycle or two and I can 'net' it to within about a quarter cycle (using the WOW method).  Who ever answers on the tone freq I use in FT8 (actually kind of rude because multiple callers cause a mess, use an offset) is typically within one cycle of what I've selected, so it's not a common issue.

I'd venture proper calibration hasn't been done within that group.

If no one else has done that, your mileage WILL vary.  This is the most likely reason since phone folks tend to tolerate frequency variations easier than other modes.

The other place is to make sure that the XIT (or second VFO) is not engaged.

Rick NHC