From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net <elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net> On
Behalf Of Dauer, Edward
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2019 12:37 PM
To: hawley, charles j jr <c-haw...@illinois.edu>
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] New K2 Build

I wonder if 11 years is a record?

Ted, KN1CBR

On 1/21/19, 9:03 AM, "hawley, charles j jr" <c-haw...@illinois.edu> wrote:

    I did one K2... started in ‘99 and finished in 2010.  There was an addition
to the house and a move of the shack in between. I had to write my own assembly
manual to include all the mods, changes, and accessories. Worked when I turned
it on. No reworks. I like the sound better than the K3.

    Chuck
    KE9UW

    Sent from my iPhone, cjack

    > On Jan 21, 2019, at 8:55 AM, Dauer, Edward <eda...@law.du.edu> wrote:
    >
    >   Hello Bruce --
    >
    > I have built three K2s, with almost every accessory and option there is
other than the transverters.  I agree with all who have advised that the K2 be
finished first and, except for the indicated KSB2 bits, then do the add-ons
later.  My reason for doing it that way was to be able to troubleshoot problems
if any emerge.  Having the options in would have complicated that for me.  So I
built the K2, tested and aligned, and then added each option, testing as I went
along.

    > The rework isn't difficult.  And if you enjoy building a kit like this -
which you will - doing that is just more of the fun.  If you don't already have
one, buy a solder sucker.  The hand-held spring-loaded vacuum types are
inexpensive and help greatly to clean out through-holes when something is
removed.  Hakko sells one for about 18 USD.

    > Ted, KN1CBR
    >

    > ------------------------------
    >
    >    Message: 7
    >    Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2019 18:32:07 +0000
    >    From: Bruce McCartney <cairn...@mac.com>
    >    To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
    >    Subject: [Elecraft] New K2 build
    >
    >    I have taken advantage of Elecraft?s National Hobby Month offer and
now have a K2 plus KSB2 SSB Option, KNB2 Noise Blanker, KAT2 20W Internal ATU
to build.

    >    My query is: do I build first the K2 transceiver as CW only, then add
in the options as completed?

    >    From reading the manuals, components have to be removed from the
completed K2 before the addition of some options.  It seems a shame to undo
work.

    >    Old blogs mention a Rework Eliminator kit which would have been a
solution to my dilemma, but these are long since discontinued.

    >    So, do I build first and add options later?  I'd be pleased to hear
from other K2 builders.

    >    I must add a huge kudos to both Elecraft and UPS - California to
Scotland - 46 hours from ordering to delivery!  What service!

delivered to k9...@live.com