That is sometimes required, but not always.
Only if the K3S or K3 with the KIO3B does not respond to the USB connection, then that can be used as a last resort.

Often the problem is simply that the computer does not clearly identify the COM port associated with the K3 USB connection.  If that is the problem, I can help with identifying the proper COM port to put into K3 Utility.

73,
Don W3FPR