Jim,

My usual procedure when tackling a problem of that nature is to first isolate the problem to one component.
You have already apparently checked out the base K2.

Next, remove the top cover from the base K2 and connect the KPA100 to it (remove the KPA100 from the EC2 enclosure). Put the KPA100 upside down on a box or book about 1/2 the height of the K2 and plug the cables into the K2.

Then test with an external wattmeter and a dummy load connected to the KPA100 SO-239 antenna jack.

First power the base K2 from the 2.1mm coaxial power jack. Check at 5 watts and at 10 watts - this checks the transmit path through the KPA100 in QRP mode. Use an external wattmeter and a dummy load. Does the external wattmeter agree roughly with the K2 display indication and the power knob setting.

If you have a much higher actual power level on the external wattmeter, the KPA100 wattmeter diodes D16 and D17 are the first suspects - replace them.

If all is well so far, remove the 2.1mm power plug and power the assembly with the APP connector on the KPA100. Make the same test.

After that, check the bias on the KPA100 for a 400ma rise in current with the K2 set to CW and in CW TEST mode. Hold the mode button until TEST appears in the LCD, and the CW icon will blink.

Do a tune and check that the current rise from receive to TUNE is 400ma.

Then set the power to 50 watts and do a TUNE. Read the actual power on the external wattmeter. With a TUNE, it should be about 20 watts.

If it is greater, you have a problem with the KPA100 wattmeter - likely diodes D16 and D17 have been damaged and need to be replaced.

More troubleshooting is possible, but that is a good starting point.
If all goes well with those tests, then I can tell you how to check the KAT100 alone (without the KPA100).

73,
Don W3FPR