From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net <elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net> On
Behalf Of Jim Brown
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2019 2:18 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] 80m KPA1500 High reflected power problems
**SOLVED!**

On 3/10/2019 10:33 PM, Peter Dougherty wrote:
> I have a 30 foot vertical ground-plane style antenna that I use for
diversity RX on 40 and 80, which was connected to the AUX antenna port. This
was being overloaded by the QRO power from the TX antenna feedpoints just a
few feet laterally and 40-50' higher vertically. As soon as I disconnected
this antenna the problem went away.

Hi Peter,

It sounds to me like your station (and maybe your home) is not properly
bonded. All of your feedlines SHOULD be bonded to a common ground at
lightning arrestors where they enter your shack, all the equipment in your
shack SHOULD be bonded together and to all of the grounds in your home
including that one, power, telco, CATV, and satellite. If you've done this,
disconnecting one of the antennas from your rig should not change anything
on the transmit side -- the only change should be overload of the second RX
by that antenna.

Two good references on grounding and bonding. One is N0AX's recent ARRL book
on the topic. The second is the set of slides for talks I've done at
Pacificon and Visalia on the topic.

http://k9yc.com/GroundingAndAudio.pdf

73, Jim K9YC