From: Barry <barrylaz...@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2019 1:08 AM
To: Peter Dougherty <li...@w2irt.net>; Elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re[2]: [Elecraft] Sending AFSK RTTY

Peter,

    For a simple uncomplicated set up, the software choice is whatever you are
familiar with, but the GENERAL set up should be the same. I use FLDIGI for two
reasons, I know it and it interfaces with N1MM for contesting. I doubt it works
better or worse than most of the others. With software there are no interfaces
needed if you are using a K3s making set up easier. Like I said earlier, it's
just a matter of letting your software know what sound card you are using, the
USB CODEC, and the com port of the radio. The rest is pretty much twisting the
knobs on the radio to set levels. You should loose no sleep over this; it's
make you tired and mistake prone. Only one thing I forgot to tell you and that
is turn your VOX on so the tones turn your transmitter on automatically and off
when you're finished sending.

    I just looked up Winwarbler. It says it can be used for RTTY, but you need
either a multimode modem or some additional software and then they must all
play together. I really suggest not using Winwarbler if I am correct; it will
add an additional level of complexity. Use FLDIGI. MixW, MultiPSK, or another
complete S/W application. The setup should be more straight forward.

    If you want, I can talk you through it via LL phone. It really shouldn't
take more than about 30-45 minutes to make it all play. Contact me directly and
I'll give you my phone number. But, I don't function before about noon EDT.

73,

Barry

K3NDM