Ray and all,

The K3/K3S/KX3/KX2 has a DATA submode AFSK A which is LSB (unless you change it) and also has special filters for RTTY - you have to set the mark frequency in the menu to match your software (or the other way around). Using the DATA submodes rather than SSB automatically sets the compression to zero and the TX and RX EQ to flat. That allows you to switch to DATA modes without disturbing whatever compression and EQ settings you have set for SSB.

Read the Elecraft manuals for more information.

So if you set the K3 to AFSK A, you are placing the K3 in USB mode and complying with the FLDIGI instructions that you read.

FLDIGI instructions do not consider the features available on the K3 because they are written for the lowest common denominator and apply to transceivers that do not have specific DATA modes.

As a side note, for non-RTTY soundcard data modes, use K3 DATA submode DATA A rather than SSB USB.

73,
Don W3FPR