"I have noticed that when the SWR (after tuning)  as displayed on the KPA500
is 1.0/1  (or occasionally 1.1/1) no SWR LED lights up on the KAT500. (The
green 1.0/1 SWR LED on the KPA500 does light up.)"

That's normal.  Why would you expect a 1.2 SWR LED to be lit when the SWR value
is less than 1.2?

The range of the KPA500 LED SWR display is much greater that the range of the
KAT500 LED SWR display.   Also, neither of them will give a useful reading at
low power levels.  I suggest the LP-100A if you really want to know the load
presented by  your antenna system.  It will give useful complex load
information with power levels between 1 watt and legal limit.

The fact that the two LED SWR meters have different ranges, and different step
points, may be by design.  If the LED meters were identical people would
perhaps expect them to always display the same value.

Don't forget that SWR is a poor indicator of antenna system load and the KPA500
really dislikes low R loads even if the SWR is less than 1.5:1.

73,
Andy. k3wyc