They still use 45/46mHz in my area for fire, EMS, and other services but I'm
not sure of the power levels.  I've been out of EMS for years.  Years ago in my
mobile I ran 100 watts on VHF FM.  In recent years I ran 50W VHF FM and 100W on
HF/50mHz SSB w/o issue.Ken WA2LBI LG G6 ------ Original message------From: Jim
BrownDate: Mon, May 6, 2019 14:10To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net;Cc: Subject:Re:
[Elecraft] Mobile high powerOn 5/6/2019 10:12 AM, Ken Winterling wrote:
> are used in services that use
> transmitters such as police, fire, ambulance, taxi, etc.

Because of the wavelengths involved, RFI coupling into circuitry at HF
is VERY different from VHF/UHF, which is used by these services. Also, I
don't know current practice, but when I was doing installs of VHF rigs
nearly 60 years ago, 25-50 watts was what we were installing. Likewise,
FM is much more difficult to detect (rectify) than SSB or CW.

73, Jim K9YC