Nope not out of service here.   The 40 MHz band is used in Tennessee today  by the Tennessee Highway Patrol and Department of Safety.   Look at any of the TN black and whites and notice the 5 ft whip with the spring and ball at the base.  All of those radios are 100 watt mobiles.   And when they stop quickly it goes "swish swish swish".

Nope, propagation has not changed in that regard.

73

Bob, K4TAX