... I used the AX1 as a test in WPX CW last weekend for only an hour on a picnic table. No problem ...in that time I got 13 QSOs from FN45 including FL. (10 Watts KX2, 13' counterpoise).
--
After NEC simulations (0.005, 13 average ground) , we find how the gain is maximized in the direction of the counterpoise. On 20 meters, if the wire is horizontal at 4 feet height, the take-off angle is about 56 degrees. But if the wire goes down from 4 feet to the ground (15 degrees slope), the F/B is less but the take off angle is lower at 35 degrees

(Image at https://i.imgur.com/XKPjM8T.jpg )

73, Pierre VE2PID