David,

You're correct: with a high-Q loaded whip, especially on the low bands,
position of the counterpoise relative to ground, structures and vegetation has
a major impact. In some cases the counterpoise itself radiates more.

On top of that, the SWR can vary all over the map depending on counterpoise
characteristics and terrain. This is why the AXE1 literature will specify that
an ATU is required. Under all but ideal static conditions, SWR is unpredictable
and the ATU will be required for transmit matching.

73,
Wayne
N6KR