Dave,

I use a 44 foot center fed antenna successfully on all bands.  It is good on
40 thru 10 and will do 80 meters in a pinch.  Mine is constructed of #22
teflon insulated wire, and I have twisted 2 25 foot lengths of the same wire
together to use as a parallel feedline.  I use a 1:1 balun at the end of the
feedline and then a short length of coax to the KAT2.  The entire package is
small and relatively lightweight.  I get my wire from Jim (N2GO) who
frequently has postings about wire availability on QRP-L

I deploy my antenna in a variety of ways - as a dipole if I have 2 supports,
as an inverted VEE if I have only one, or if the inverted VEE is not
practical, I support one end of the antenna up as high as I can get it and
operate it as a vertical with the other side of the antenna strung out
wherever I can get it as a counterpoise.  I usually carry along a 32 foot
telescoping pole that aids me with the various configurations.

I have not done any real comparison tests, nor have I made any EZNEC plots
with the various configurations, but I have fun and I make contacts.  I
figure any attempts to optimize anything would be nullified or compromised
in some way depending on the environment I find I have to deploy the
antenna, so I just use it and go on with life.  I save the optimization for
the permanent home station antennas where I have control over many more
parameters.

73,
Don W3FPR