Good evening,

Early August in Northern Wisconsin.  He awoke early, just before dawn.  He yawned his way to the dock as the sky became lighter and got in his canoe. Paddling out to the island in the middle of the lake he woke up. The mist was rising off the water and the loons were calling in the distance.  "Good day to fish", thought he.  He set the paddle into the canoe and readied his gear.  Blue gills were calling his name.  So he began with earthworms on a number 12 hook.  At first it was slow going.  He paddled farther away from the island and found a hole.  Soon they were biting as fast as he could re-bait the hook.

Then things changed.  He was casting and hooking them, filling his bucket with blue gills.  But the loons were on a mission. They had been calling in the distance.  He had seen them running across the water approaching flight speed.  Off to visit another lake and torment those fishermen.  Stealth mission!  They circled around and landed behind him.  Using their submarine tactics they snuck within a few yards.  While he was casting, hooking, and re-baiting his hook they were planning their strategy.

The first one rose out of the water within feet of his canoe, directly behind him.  Then let out that cackle they all make when happy.  Normally you hear this at a distance of one hundred yards or more.  But, NO, this guy was feet away and even louder. Kevin, poor fisherman in canoe, rose to his feet in one fluid, if jerky, movement.  Screaming was on his mind.  Then, again, the cackle. "You beast you!", said he giving the loon a piece of his mind. Good thing Dad had taught him his balance skills or he'd have been in the lake soaking.  More cackling as the nearest loon paddled slowly off (grinning I am sure).

Fisherman Kevin baited his hook with trembling fingers.  "**** loon", said he.  Then he remembered Zen and found his center. "Where was that hole?"  He used the paddle in classic J stroke and moved quietly.  Cast, cast, hook.  OK, now re-bait.  But the next loon had another thought.  She rose and cackled behind him. ALWAYS behind him.  This time the fisherman did not take the bait.  "I'll whack you with my paddle if you do that again", met with more cackles.  No respect from the loons on this lake.  Sigh.  "Keep fishing Kevin, they can't do this all day."  Luckily that was true.  After about fifteen minutes they all took off and found a lake nearby.

Weather has been hot to mild to chilly this week.  I have been enjoying the fifth stage of fishing :)

Please join us on:

14050 kHz at 2200z Sunday (3 PM PDT Sunday)
  7047 kHz at 0000z Monday (5 PM PDT Sunday)

   73,
      Kevin. KD5ONS

_

.