Speculation mode engaged.

For one thing, if a USB Hub functionality was also built in, you then
only need one physical USB connection between radio and computer, and
you could have full Rig Control, + USB Audio I/O, a well as the usual
KX3 utility functionality (firmware updates etc.)

Ideally, a galvanically isolated USB link to/from the outside world,
preventing ground loops.  Such devices are available, such as (but not
only) :- https://www.analog.com/en/products/ltm2884.html  (Not the
smallest of implementations, just referenced as an example of available
functionality, available now.)

No noisy micro SMPS needed either, as the rig already has it's own
internal power for the internal side, and the PC would power (via the
cable) the "external" side.

From what I recall of the KX3 schematic, the Audio codec chip has plenty
of unused spare audio I/O lines, so at the very least, analogue Audio
I/O could (in principle) be possible with minimal changes to the
physical design (but not firmware I suspect.)  Easy for me to say that,
I don't have to do it.  But that alone would make an excellent rig even
better.

73.

Dave G0WBX.

--
Created on and sent from a Unix like PC running and using free and open source
software: