Nate:

You should run your MIC gain such that you see 4 bars of ALC with the 5th just flickering occasionally on voice peaks.  Make this adjustment with compression at zero.  Then, adjust the compression as desired.  I generally set it so that voice peaks show 10 dB compression.  The first 4 bars on the ALC display are in fact just a VU meter.  ALC action begins at the 5th bar.  Elecraft transceivers set the power out with a closed feedback loop [PWR setting], not the MIC gain.

Driving the ALC too hard will create IMD which, among other things, will show up as energy on the opposite sideband.  It all happens in the RF chain after the DSP has generated the SSB.

73,
Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County