On 8/28/2019 1:46 PM, Michael Walker wrote:
I am not a big fan of compression and in today's world there really is no
requirement to have it on.  Ask anyone who has been DXPedition end of a
DXPedition and they will tell you to turn it off as it is actually harder
to understand you.

This is NOT true if compression is well adjusted -- 10 dB of well adjusted compression increases talk power by 10 dB, and setting TXEQ to remove speech content below 400 Hz helps by another 3 dB. It is the abuse of compression that reduces intelligibility. Compression has been universally used in all broadcasting modes for at least 60 years, and for at least 40 years, for gain reductions of 30 dB or more! The joke among FM broadcast engineers in the '70s was "If the meter in the modulation monitor moves, the program director will say we're not loud enough!"

73, Jim K9YC