So very true.  I'm about as far removed from being an AM/audiophile type of ham as you could imagine, but I've heard guys getting "great audio" reports when they sounded like trash with lots of clipping. It's really sad, and I tend to err on the conservative side because I'd rather give up a bit of "punch" than be one of them.

73,
Dave   AB7E