I checked this another way by using the radio debug window in Logger32. It polls the radio and displays the set frequency. This can also be checked using the K3 Utility by entering FA; into the command test window.

Changing the resolution of the K3 step size only changed the reported frequency by the step size. The finer resolution, lease significant, digits remained intact. This negates to a degree the utility of the EXT REF functionality option set for the base K3 and 2m transverter lock.

There would perhaps be some advantage in resetting the discarded display digits in the synth frequency setting word to zero to match.

An interesting potential gotcha for folks checking into nets using a coarse step size or transverting to VHF/UHF channelised modes e.g. FM repeaters without realising there could be unseen and potentially large residual offsets. Is this another possible cause of the the occasional reported frequency errors, usually attributed to REF CAL errors?

It all really comes down to cockpit drill once the situation is known. I usually run the display at 10Hz resolution, the last digit in fine 1Hz resolution set to 0 e.g. 21019.46(0) however, this will be messed up the first time I use auto SPOT with CWT.

I wouldn't bet the farm on a modification to the K3 firmware, even if desirable, at this stage of its life cycle.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO