I got a hot air rework device from SparkFun. It does a fine job of heating SMT parts so they can be removed and replaced. I did the KPOD power upgrade to my K3 using it.

It is currently in the hands of the moving company which is moving our stuff from CA to NH as part of our move to Peterborough, so I can't give a lot of details. But the invoice, which is stored on my computer shows it as:

 Hot-air Rework Station - 303D
 TOL-10706      1
   $114.95

73 Bill AE6JV