Hi Ted:

I wanted to get into some SMD building and tried the hot air approach
initially.  It was difficult and unreliable, and I messed up more than I had
success.

The best decision I made was to invest in a modestly-priced infrared SMD oven
from Amazon.  This works perfectly for me and I have now successfully made well
over 100 boards with the device.

Price range was under $200.  There is a lot of negatively about some of these
ovens as they are made in China, but despite the poor English in their
documentation I found that they work just fine.  Put your pasted board inside
with properly placed components, and “voila!” - a working circuit board in 7
minutes!

While the English in the documentation for my particular oven was poor, one can
easily figure out what the writer means.  Similarly, the user interface on my
oven leaves a bit to be desired, but one can easily figure out what the screens
mean, and get the job done.

The oven has about 5 pre-programmed heating cycles for different types of
solder and different heating profiles.  I just use the default cycle as it
matches my configuration (lead-based solder paste).

Another suggestion is to invest in aluminum solder paste stencils for the
boards you are building, if they are available.  These are about $8 from a
place in Utah.  They beat trying to squirt paste onto closely-spaced pads with
a syringe or other tool!

Hope this info helps, 73,

Kevin VE7ZD / KN7Q