On 2019-10-20 3:33 p.m., Dauer, Edward wrote:
I am thinking about trying my hand at building a kit with a bunch of SMDs.  I
don???t yet know the gauge.  Any suggestions about the brand or type of hot air
soldering gun I should buy?  Any other tools I???ll need
Solder paste, small non-magnetic tweezers, a good source of light for the area, and possibly a magnifying glass that you can use hands free while soldering (if soldering the parts by hand). Another option would be one of those inspection type microscopes. Your need for either of the last two items will depend on your eyesight and how often you will be doing SMD related work.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/               | "Nerds make the shiny things that
https://www.patreon.com/KevinCozens | distract the mouth-breathers, and
                                    | that's why we're powerful"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172          |
#include <disclaimer/favourite>     |             --Chris Hardwick