There are many ways to get enjoyment from Ham Radio, long distance contacts being just one of them.  I am a DXer and Contester by heart as that is what I was exposed to as a young ham.  I never got into the rag chewing.  I had a sched with my Grandfather weekly yet we still still talked just as much on the telephone.  People stay involved in hobbies that are fun.  It has gotten increasingly more difficult to find homes that allow ham activities, ie towers and outside antennas.  The entry cost can be high.  I am curious to see if Remote is going to bring in any new folks.  It is keeping older ones active that desire to move to assisted living or smaller more easily maintained homes.  Contesting could probably be bigger than it is now but there is nothing close to level playing field which you can find with online games or Esports.  The guy with the most bucks and best location is going to have a huge advantage.  We in the west can't compete with the east coast that can run EU all day long in most DX contests.  Domestic contests are different but look who consistently wins.  These are big stations.

I am also involved with 3D printing as a hobby as I play table top games and I build terrain, walls, trees, miniatures.  This hobby is booming and is filled with young and old alike.  Entry is about 200 bucks and requires a bit of space on a desk.  Same mind set for many as there is a lot to learn about the printing process to setup and make good prints.  It is not a plug in and go hobby.

Young people would rather binge watch shows on their phone or tv instead of actually meeting people.

I think there could be a draw but what I find is many hams don't want more hams.  They want exclusivity and for some don't really want competition as someone else might win their paper or wooden plaque.    People want the stuff and want to win and want the accolades but would prefer to do it without competition.  I know a person that is part of horse club that my XYL and daughter are part of.  She used to always win a saddle because she was the only one that would enter that class, which required you compete in 3 classes.  She got mad when the club removed that class and started giving saddles away for the individual classes.  Her comment, well I can't beat...so and so.............. so I just won't compete anymore.    Many competitors do it only for fun and themselves and know they have little chance to win.  This is very similar to ham radio contesting where most are really just participants and not serious competitors.

I am not sure how you sell Ham Radio to people today.  I have two sons and a daughter.  One son got licensed really young and did some contests and mobile activities with me but never got hooked like I did.   People have less free time than ever and there are more options for entertainment than ever.

W0MU