Only five years ago did I get my license, even though I was interested in radio sixty years ago.  My sons, now in their early 30's have watched my radio activities with curiosity.  A few anecdotes:

1)  On a camping trip for the three of us in Adirondack Park we set up my Buddipole and KX3.  They were astounded.  One said "Wow, it's amazing what signals and people are around us all the time!" He's a successful robotics engineer who is as immersed in today's technology as much as anyone.  He can run a million-dollar robot or his house from his smartphone, but the experience of sitting at a remote campground and talking to people with 10 watts and AA batteries still intrigued him.

2)  My other son was complaining about a DZOTA on his commute and suggested we explore it.  Having no radio other that what was in his car, I tuned in 1710 KHz AM and we listened.  He drove around the area noting the changes in QRM, sometimes obviously a advertising sign, but above it all something loud going on in an area that seemed to delineate his DZOTA.  At one point we wandered into a school parking lot, thinking the QRM was coming from the school, but it didn't pan out.  He will have fun tracking it down.  His career is in cybersecurity.

3)  One son was amazed to see my QSO with  Antarctica with a KX3, KXPA100, and a simple wire dipole.  Both sons understand communications theory well enough, but have trouble grasping the reality of capturing a signal that is 24 decibels below the noise floor from such a remote place.  When I told them my .25W WSPR signal was picked up in Tasmania, they believed me, but only. When I explained to one how easy it would be to use the shortwave radio I gave him to monitor my activity on FT8, even in his apartment, maybe with an antenna connected to his rain gutter, he was intrigued but skeptical.

They know there is still magic out there.  They probably could get their Technician without studying.  Will they get their licenses?  At times I have a study manual with us and ask questions, some of which are just basic common sense or stuff that is useful to everyone.  Their response is, "Are those real questions?"  They are both primed to be curious about amateur radio (one even uses SDR's in his research!) but, despite my encouragement, haven't taken any tests.  Maybe one problem is that our kids are too "tested out" from this education system and are afraid of failing once again.  Since their dad passed all the tests, they know it can be done.  Does it help to hear that if you fail a test, it doesn't go on your record?  Or to hear that you don't need a score of 100%?  We've all heard potential hams say, "Oh, but I don't think I could learn Morse code."  We need the exams, but maybe they are an artificial barrier?

david

KC1DNY