I have read with interest the various postings on this thread. To pick one out, Dave AB7E's analysis is, IMHO, spot on. As times roll on, various aspects of cultural life change, also. "New technologies" of whatever form will naturally catch the general interest, while old ones will diminish to the status of niche interests for the few. Young people generally are at the leading edge of taking up the new, while old folks hold on to the trailing edge of the old for all the usual reasons. I had an MG-TD with a broken starter in my youth; I crank started it for a year. Many funny stories, lots of fun, and some skill acquisition [pull up, don't push down]. But, I don't think that those "positives" which I fondly remember would prompt many young people to adapt a crank-start car.

My father was interested in many things. He taught me to make black powder, and I blew the front off the kitchen stove [long story]. He would draw one-tube radio schematics on the back of paper napkins. Interesting for me for the novelty and for my father's interest. He/we bought an AM 3-tube radio from an electronics store in Washington DC which we built together. That was fun, although I don't remember using it much. When I started in ham radio at age 16, I followed the lead of a ham friend who got me started with code, and a big time DX operator who was an engineer at the weather bureau technical labs who owned a Collins 75A-4 and had built himself a 3-el 40m yagi [came down in the first big winter storm]. I bought a Heathkit DX-20 and a used National NC-98, a total investment of under $100. The antenna was a single wire that ran under the window and out to a back yard fence [length 30ft, hgt 15ft]. I actually worked some people! I learned CW for the simple reason that it was the only mode that I could afford. I majored in EE in college and spent 10 years in that line of work. And so on...

When I got back into ham radio in 1989 at the age of 49y/o, several things were different. I had money to buy decent equipment. I owned my own home which made antenna construction MUCH easier. I had an adult's sensibility about technical stuff. I found CW interesting as a "second language." "Communicating" was not the goal but rather the proof that I had successfully mastered various technical challenges. Tinkering with antennas [the quad went up and down regularly] and computer modeling of same was interesting. The QSO/communicating was not primary but, again, the proof that I had solved some antenna problem. Hunting DX and contesting became my central focus, again as proofs that I had the station set up as best as circumstances allowed and that my operating skill set was up to the challenge.

My take away from all this is that unique factors in my life have prompted and supported my interest in ham radio. I don't think that "fun" has ever been the primary motivation - although I do enjoy a good run in the CQWW-CW. The learning and acquisition curve in the hobby has always matched my resources at any one time. Today, the cost and complexity of the hobby is pretty steep. Given the difficulty in getting young people involved in STEM interests and studies, the idiot-proof nature of the consumer digital world, the low value placed on hardware curiosity and tinkering [nothing is fixed, just replaced], and the cultural focus on immediate gratification, is it so surprising that ham radio is a difficult sell?

All IMHO.

...robert