From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net <elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net> On
Behalf Of kevinr
Sent: Sunday, January 19, 2020 7:32 PM
To: Elecraft Reflector <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: [Elecraft] Elecraft CW Net Report

Good Evening,

    Twenty meters had very loud QRN.  A steady roar of about S6 with some QSB.
I have received five emails so far complaining of QRM blocking my signal.  It
did make sending decent code hard too.  For the last few weeks CQs start up
when I call the net and continue throughout them.

    Forty meters was different.  When I first tuned to 7047.5 kHz I thought
something was wrong.  Twenty meters had been full of QRN while forty meters was
dead quiet.  I turned back to twenty meters to check and it was still noisy.
When I did hear stations it was like I was inside a box of cotton batting.  Our
Christmas sunspots are only a memory.  The solar wind has slowed and the
auroral oval is close to the magnetic pole.  If we are not at the bottom of
this sunspot cycle we have to be very close.  More QRM but I did get a relay
station to call them and gained another few stations for the list too.  Thanks
Brian.

   On 14050.5 kHz at 2200z:

W0CZ - Ken - ND

K6XK - Roy - IA

NO8V - John - MI

   On 7047.5 kHz at 0000z:

W0CZ - Ken - ND

K0DTJ - Brian - CA

KC1ACL - Steve - NM

WM5F - Dwight - ID

    The people I worked on 20 meters all mentioned the word blizzard.  3
degrees F came up a few times too.  Then we compared our winter experiences :)
I once went XC skiing in Wisconsin at -65 degrees F.  It was not windy.  It was
also not very pleasant. Normally skis ride on a layer of water created by the
pressure of the skis.  Not this night.  My skis were acting like I was on a
layer of sandpaper.  Within twenty minutes I was back next to the woodstove.

    Until next week stay warm folks,

        73,  Kevin.  KD5ONS

-

delivered to dwightander...@roadrunner.com