It didnt have the 5 volts hooked up... I popped the jumper plug off and used 4 old hardrive jumpers and wired it for kenwood.. put her back together and she WORKED!!!....way too much fun...and relatively easy.
These Kits are the coolest:)

thanks to all whom replied
Steve
KW5TX

Don Wilhelm wrote:
Steve,

The best analysis I can offer is that your mic configuration header may not
be wired correctly.  It is best to check it instead of relying on what
someone has said about it.

Since this is your 1st K2, and you did not build it, I assume you are not
familiar with how it all fits together.  You must remove the front panel to
get to the header.

The process to get to the mic configuration header is to remove the top
cover or KPA100 (6 screws).

Next, check to see if it has the KDSP2 or KAFT2 installed (to the left,
oriented vertically, behind the control panel) - if so, remove the screw
located near the center of that board (if it is the KDSP2, you will have to
remove the outer board first to get to the fastening screw - just pull that
out of the header pins observing proper anti-static procedures).  After
removing the screw, you can pull the board out by moving it toward the rear
of the K2.

There are two screws holding the control board to the front panel - if you
look down between the two boards, you will see the hex standoffs - remove
the screws from inside the K2 (or 1 screw and 1 standoff if you had the KAF2
or KDSP2 installed).

Now remove the 4 screws holding the Front Panel (located on the outside
covers) and pull the Front Panel and its board straight out to the front.
The mic configuration header is located on the back of the front panel near
the mic jack.

It takes more effort to put the process in words than to do it.  Do it once
and you should be a pro, it is not difficult.

Compare the mic header wiring with the listing of common ham mics in the
KSB2 manual.  If you did not receive documentation with your K2, you can
download the manuals from the Elecraft website as .pdf files.  Be aware that
many Icom mics have electret elements and need a resistor from 5 volts to
the AF mic pin - this resistor is commonly soldered to the back of the mic
jack if it is needed.

You will have to determine the properties and pinout for your particular mic
(it would be nice if they were 'standard', but alas, there is a large
variety of differences).  I can only help on the K2 side.

73,
Don W3FPR