Frank et al;

Just quoted what is in the K3S manual.   No interpretation provided.   I agree that 100 watts key down is a lot for a SSB amplifier running in CW mode.   To me that says 100 watts for 10 minutes and then RX for 10 minutes.   Otherwise equal TX and RX times.   Who does that?

And if one is running "100 watts" then running CW or SSB for 10 minutes might be the limit.  Just speculation.   On AM I might talk for 10 minutes but that is at 25% rated power output for carrier, yet it is 100 watts PEP.   The 60 C is MY guideline. The KPA3A will shut down about 85 C or so.

On 6M I run my KPA500 at about 300 to 400 watts.  The K3S is running about 25 to 30 watts on 6M.   At this point I'm watching the KPA500 temperature.

There is NO DX worth blowing a PA either in the K3S or the KPA500.    But I know guys that will blow things up, pushing things to the max and beyond  trying to work that DX station.  I say bah humbug to that!

I just pay attention to the PA temp, specially when running digital modes. Likewise for the KPA500.

73

Bob, K4TAX