I operated SSB and CW about 50/50 in Field Day this year. Logging program was v9.x of CT, however I normally use N1MM Logger. Other than not being familiar with some of the commands and some of the nice things I'm used to with N1MM Logger, CT, although quite basic (this was the DOS version, not sure if there is a Windoze version of CT), seemed to work okay. When I took over the controls I noticed the previous operator had labels on the keyboard to make things very well understood what each function key would do (although I still didn't know how to go back and edit a QSO if necessary, but normal operating was easy). They also had Bencher paddles and an MFJ memory keyer connected in parallel with the serial (or LPT) port keying to the K2. I could easily slow down from the initial 24 WPM using Alt-F9 or speed up a bit for some faster ops using Alt-F10, but I think only once I heard a station that I needed to slow down to about 16 WPM, I generally ran at a nice comfortable 20 WPM, sometimes 22. It seemed most operators that came back to my CQ matched my speed pretty well. When I was searching & pouncing I noticed most operators were within a few WPM of about 22 WPM fairly consistently, with a couple running probably around 30 WPM. I did find it easy & quick to adjust the WPM using ALT-F9/F10.

However, I found it much harder to adjust things due to my unfamiliarity of the MFJ keyer. There was a speed knob on it but it didn't seem to have any affect. I forget the model number/name of the keyer, but it has a matrix of functions, selecting maybe 4 or 5 levels down and I think 5 across for various functions. I found I couldn't send at all (even though the first thing I sent initially was TEST de W3GS and was able to send that okay), but trying to send things "iambically" didn't work, such as "CQ". I guess the previous operator preferred a single lever paddle, even though it was his Bencher paddles. Once I turned Iambic "ON" and then set it for either type A or B, I forget which, but it is the one I'm used to and the one that works for me, I was in business, but I still don't know why there is a speed knob on the keyer that didn't seem to work at all, and at 2 AM I wasn't about to fuddle through other menus on the front panel to try to set the speed when the knob should just work.

I had fun anyway, though and hope to do more CW in FD next year. This past year of operating almost exclusively CW brought back the code to nearly the proficiency I once had in my "youth" as a teenager and 20-something. Now, almost double that age & too many distractions in life I'm happy to plod along anywhere from 16 to 25 WPM.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I remember reading the results of a poll on K3WWP's website that indicated about 1/3 of cw folks used keyboards. I wonder if during contests if you may have a higher percentage on keyboard making it a bit more difficult to slow down (change settings) for the slower operators? I sort of like my CW drawl and probably won't change much in the next few years. But are many of you changing to keyboards?
Alan  KB7MBI
Woodinville, WA