I’ve run into an interesting situation that has me puzzled. Probably some dumb
pilot error, but after an hour or so looking through the manuals and thinking
about it - I gotta call in the experts.

I’ve had a K3 for ten years and the KPA500/KAT500 for maybe four or five years.
They work great. I also have a KX2 and thought “why not hook it to the KPA500
and give it some punch when I need it?”. Since my antenna connects through a
coax switch between the K3 and the KX2, the output of the KX2 has been flowing
through the KPA500/KAT500 since day one, although never being amplified. I set
the KX2 ATU to bypass and do a “tune” on the KAT500 - finds a nice 1:1 match.
Keying the KX2 with the amp in standby gives me 10w out on the KX2.

Now, with a station tuned in that is say, S8 on the KX2, when I put the amp
into operate mode, the received signal strength drops about six S-units. Going
back to standby on the amp restores full receive strength. I have pressed the
proper band switch on the amp. When I have the amp in operate mode and
transmit, I get about 190 watts out, with an SWR of 1:1.

By the way - the K3 IS connected to the amp as it normally is, but powered off.

So, it seems like the amp is not sensing the RF frequency coming out of the KX2
- but why?

Jim / W6JHB