Hi Mark,

In one of the books I have (or had), possibly the Fred Cady KX3 book, there was
a diagram of connecting a KX3 along with a K3 to a KPA500/KAT500. The diagram
had a splitter in use for the key line, as I recall. And when I had my KX3 that
was exactly what I did, and it worked fine. There is no reason, as far as I
know, why the two cannot be connected together, provided the key line interrupt
device is present if one is using the KPAK3AUX cable.

I looked in my parts bin and found one of those interrupters just a few minutes
ago. I disconnected the KPAK3AUX cable and inserted the interrupter at the back
of the KPA500, then put the KPAK3AUX cable into it. Now, when I put the KPA500
into Operate mode, the RX level on the KX2 remains unchanged, so there was
progress! Keying the KX2 now triggers the amp to do its thing when in Operate
mode. I’ve got to go back and dig up my RCA splitter so I can reconnect the Key
out line from the K3.

If Jack W6FB is monitoring this thread, perhaps he can chime in on the issue of
having both radio’s key out lines tied together via a splitter. BTW - I NEVER
have both powered on at the same time.

73, Jim / W6JHB