Let me answer a couple questions here in one message.

Jack - I recall from working with you several years ago on a similar situation
that indeed, the amp “defaults” to 60 meters when the K3 is off.

Also, with the interrupter in place, and NO cable between K3 Key Out and amp,
the K3 does NOT key the amp.

So, I now have it working perfectly, as I did when I had a KX3 many moons ago.
Here is the setup:

——> KPAK3AUX cable and Key Line Interrupter between K3 and KPA500. Two-way RCA
jack splitter plugged into the PA Key on the KPA500; one cable to the K3 Key
Out, the other to the KX2 Acc port (ring 2 and shield).

With this configuration, either the K3 or the KX2 can key the KPA500 and drive
it as desired.

I see that in the KPA500 manual, Rev D, 3/10/2017, the diagram indicates “Break
Key Line to Insert External Equipment”. Interestingly, it also shows the line
from the amp going to the K3 Key jack, which I don’t think is correct - it
should point to the second jack from the right - the Key Out connection, right?

Jack - do you see any problem in doing the connections as I’ve done? seems to
work fine, and I’ve not seen any smoke escaping from either rig!

Jim / W6JHB