On 5/12/2020 8:11 AM, Buck wrote:
A used K3 would be my recommendation if you don't need portability.  The K3 is still one of the finest radios ever made

I agree. The KX3 is a fine radio, but the K3 is much easier to use if you want to do modes other than CW and SSB. In today's world, digital modes have become quite popular, in large part because they make it possible to work through the greatly increased noise levels present where most of us live.

 and can run the full 100
watts

The base K3 is a 15W radio. The 100W amp in a K3/100 is an option.

when QRP just won't cut it.

I work a lot of QRP, but I also work a lot at 1.5 kW.

My first recommendation would be a used K3/100 if you don't need the compactness of the KX3, but study the options that are installed. Some options are no longer available from Elecraft. Get advice from a K3 owner if you don't understand the details.

73, Jim K9YC