Tommy,

The KX2, KX3, and K3 are all fine radios for CW - and data modes and SSB as well.

Do you want 100 watts - then choose the K3 (or K3S). You can also add the P3 for a panadapter display.

Do you want something small that you can tote in a backpack, then the KX2 is the obvious choice. You can use it at home with the KXPA100 for a 100 watt home station.

Do you want something that is small enough for 'picnic table portable', but has more buttons and up-front controls than the KX2, then choose the KX3. It also can serve as a 100 watt home station with the addition of the KXPA100 and can also be used with the PX3 for a panadapter display.

If you are planning portable work, the internal tuner is a must.
At the home station, if you do not have resonant antennas, then you should have the internal tuner in the K3/K3S or the KXPA100.

Those are the basics that I can convey, the choice is yours to make depending on your station aspirations. Try not to base your decision on price alone - decide what you want and then proceed from there.

I have the K3 with the P3. KX3 with the PX3 and KXPA100 as well as the KX2. So I can say that they are all good, but for the home station, I usually go with the K3 with the KX3/PX3 and KXPA100 (with KXAT100) as an alternate. The KX2 is reserved for portable operation, and I use it rarely since I no longer go on hiking ventures.

73,
Don W3FPR