On 5/12/20 at 2:46 PM, j...@audiosystemsgroup.com (Jim Brown) wrote:

On 5/12/2020 8:11 AM, Buck wrote:
A used K3 would be my recommendation if you don't need portability.  The K3 is still one of the finest radios ever made

I agree. The KX3 is a fine radio, but the K3 is much easier to use if you want to do modes other than CW and SSB. In today's world, digital modes have become quite popular, in large part because they make it possible to work through the greatly increased noise levels present where most of us live.

I frequently switch modes when operating. With the K3, I only have to change the mode switch on the radio. It is equally easy on the KX3 and KX2 between CW and voice, but when going use to data with an external computer I have to change the phones plug, the mic plug, and the mic bias. And change them back when I go the other way. A lot of fiddling. However I can easily carry the KX3 in my pack.

Note: I have to borrow a KX2 from my wife, so I mostly use the KX3.

I hope the K4 will be as easy to switch between sound card modes and RTTY as the K3 is between CW/SSB/Data. The K3 involves some knob twisting.

73 Bill AE6JV