Richard;

I would opt for the third option (separate K2/100) for just one reason. As you mentioned below, you have "A Son in scouting, baseball, and band." Is he interested in ham radio yet? When you do get him addicted, you will want to have a separate station for him to work with besides your main one. It could definitely be a huge advantage to have a second rig at the ready, one for you and one for him to practice, operate, etc.

I'm looking at a similar situation - KG6YMN (my 14 year old) is showing signs of wanting to upgrade from technician. He thoroughly enjoyed operating the GOTA station at Field Day. The possibility of having to share my K2/100 is making me contemplate other options...