You’re in mode CW, right?

73 de Dick, K6KR

From: Madison Jones <w5mikejul...@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, May 22, 2020 15:25
To: Dick Dievendorff <d...@elecraft.com>
Cc: Elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Keyer goes berserk

Thanks to everyone. The entire configuration which I described has worked just
fine ever since I acquired MORTTY last fall. I have used it in this
configuration for thousands of contacts - paddle [and usb from computer ] into
MORTTY and then into K3. The last time it all worked was for the 19z CWT on
Wednesday. However, when I was setting up for the 03z CWT without making any
changes from 19z except to change contests on N1MM+, when I set and saved the
configuration, it first acted as a straight key [which is to say, either paddle
simply gave a steady dah until I released it]. I then rebooted N1MM+, hit F3
[tu], and at that point the K3 gave some dits and dahs, and then would not do
anything.

When I took everything apart, I suspected the MORTTY, but putting the paddle
directly into either paddle or key port on K3 produced nothing at all - would
not key K3 no way no how. Tried the MORTTY on my K/W 480, and it worked fine.
Key into 480 works fine in either the paddle or key port. I can only conclude
that since the MORTTY works fine, the cables work fine, and the paddle works
fine, that leaves only the K3 which does not work fine.

Today I rebooted the K3 and computer several times in various configurations -
N1MM, paddle with MORTTY, paddle direct to key port and then to paddle port.
The first time I did it I noticed that both red and green lights on MORTTY lit
up the first time I hit Enter on N1MM after configuring it, but no response
that I remember from K3. I thought ESM must have disconnect itself in N1MM but
it was OK. After that first attempt, I reconfigured ports in N1MM, still no
ESM, no response from K3, and no lights on MORTTY. Nothing happens.

Has to be K3 problem, but what? Receiver works OK.

Madison

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 4:38 PM Dick Dievendorff <d...@elecraft.com