Actually, this is one of the worst ways Microsoft could handle updates. I work in information security for a hospital. I shudder to think what would happen if patching reset our life-saving critical clinical systems to all the default settings every month. Our infrastructure team would spend all their time putting out fires.

While the impact for end-users isn't as life-or-death, it is still unreasonable to think that every time our systems get patched/updated, we have to reconfigure them. This is amplified by the fact that Microsoft no longer gives the home user any advance notice of when their system will be patched, nor way to disable automated patching.

73 de,

Ian, NV4C