Having worked in IT, I can tell you professional IT organizations test
patches before deploying them.

Regarding Windows 10 Home use, you can delay patches now (a recent update).

Finally, for a long time, you have been able to prevent Windows 10 from
updating drivers which can lead to COM port number changes:
https://www.minitool.com/news/disable-automatic-driver-updates-win-10-009.html.

Windows and our computers are just like any tool or even a piece of radio
gear.  it behooves us to learn how to use those tools and to stay current
with updates to them.  These tools are more complex than hammers and just as
dangerous in un-trained/educated hands.

There is plenty of information (much of it correct) available with a quick
Google search.  Before I spend a weekend or just a day contesting, I always
check for Windows Updates.  If one is available, I download and install it
on ONE computer, test it, and if acceptable, do the same on my other
computers.  I also check all of my antennas and the rest of my station's
systems.  They are all tools of the "trade."

73, Bill, K8TE

--
Sent from: http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/