I use "Plasticene" (maybe known as modelling clay?)
In my experience it never hardens, it is waterproof and easy to remove. I
used to use the orange tapered vinyl boots that were used on mineral
insulated "Pyro" cable over the top since they are a great seal over PL259s
but I have used up my stock. I make sure that the cable is not free to flap
around and "Plasticene" does the job.

If there's only two "teeth" on the PL259 connector then I frequently file
them off and ignore the slight plating loss. I cover the threads with a
mixture of zinc and Vaseline anyway. This is a concoction that we used to
use at work (in a loosely aerospace related company) to facilitate riveted
ground points on galley structures prior to Meggar tests, but that process
fell into disuse. It came about because the guys were using heatsink
compound until I arrived and pointed out their error!  I still use the zinc
and Vaseline on threads though because it lubricates and the zinc helps
conductivity a little, but my stock has all but gone.

Steve, G4VRR.

--
Sent from: http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/