Resonance is over rated. The problem of believing you must have a resonant antenna arose with the use of coax cable began. High SWRs causes high system losses.

Prior to the widespread use of coax, open wire was used and few antenna systems were really resonant, and nor were they reflecting a 1:1 SWR. Back then, no one cared as tubes were used and pi-net or swinging links were used to match to whatever was connected to the transmitter. In fact, I once visited a site that used rhombic antennas and Sterba curtains being fed by high power transmitters. The feed line were copper pipes about 1/4" in diameter and spaced about 4". The SWR, I was told, was 14:1. I asked if that was a problem of transferring energy to the system. The answer was no as the final output stage could match it and the system losses were low due to the type of feed line used. This was a lesson I learned 60 years ago and haven't forgotten it. The site was the RCA site the once stood on Montauck Point on Long Island, New York.

One point that keeps getting forgotten is the conservation of energy concept. What that means is energy can only be changed and not lost. Typically that means transmitter energy would be changed to heat, but not lost. What is not changed to heat on the coax will make it to the antenna where it MUST be radiated and not lost.  Yhe practical application of this is use really good coax if you can't get to a 1:1-2:1 SWR, ot there about. Alternatively, use ladder line and a current balun. Elecraft tuners easily tune 10:1 SWR which contains system losses nicely. I have been doing this for a very long time and have achieved WAS, DXCC phone, DXCC CW, and DXCC digital, and, I'm 13 short on 80 of making 5BDXCC.

73,

Barry

K3NDM